Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chicago Half-Marathon - September 12, 2010

This weekend we went to Chicago for a VERY quick trip to run in the Chicago Half-Marathon!! It was a great trip - although WAY too quick. I think this was the first time I've gone to Chicago in 10 years I didn't get to see my besties that live in the area =(  So sad - but an excuse to go back soon!!

We got there early Saturday morning -- when we landed, we went to Navy Pier to pick up our packets, grabbed a coffee, and met up with a friend! It was really cold (I was in flip flops) and all I wanted to do was shop on Michigan to buy a new pair of Uggs (winter boots that I seem to live in when there is any coldness in the air). After we got our packets, we checked in to our hotel, The Ambassador East, and then headed to lunch at a Tapa's place.
After lunch, we went down to Michigan and read our books at the coffee shop (if you haven't already - read ALL THREE of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, you should! ... they are SOOOO good, and I'm so sad to have finished them all!) We read for a few hours and it miraculously cleared up, the sun came out, and it was hot again! So, no boots to shop for - we just walked everywhere & did window shopping, went down to the lake & eventually grabbed to-go food (we had a picnic in our hotel room to get ready for the race!)

We got up SUPER early, drove an hour to the start of the race (near the University of Chicago - but there were 18,000 people running the race & it was the first game for the Bear's) - and started a little late (but the race was chipped, so it was fine). I ran an average (of slightly under) 10-minute miles for my first 10, then had a huge cramp and had to walk... and walked almost to the 12th mile before I could run again - but, I finished only one minute longer than my last half (when I ran the whole time) - so I felt really satisfied!!

After the race, we headed back to the hotel, cleaned up & packed and had a big brunch! I went to Midway afterwards to get fly home. It was a great race and a fun weekend - it still shocks me we have our next race in KC on October 16 - the KC Marathon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment